|2013/2014 CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIPS ADMISSION INFORMATION|
Part One: INTRODUCTION
In order to further strengthen the mutual understanding and friendship between peoples of China and Botswana, the Chinese government has been providing scholarships for Botswana students studying in Chinese higher education institutions since 1980s. Especially during the recent years, the Chinese Government increased the scholarships from 5 to around 20 for each academic year since 2007, which also serves the support for Botswana to accelerate the achievement of Vision 2016.
The Ministry of Education of China (hereinafter referred to as MOE) formulates Chinese government scholarship plans, and entrusts China Scholarship Council (hereinafter referred to as CSC) to handle the enrollment of international students.
For the academic year of 2013/2014, the Chinese government will provide 22 full scholarships for Botswana students who wish to study in China for bachelor, master or doctoral degrees, Chinese language students, general scholars and senior scholars.
Part Two: APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
The specified Application requirements for Chinese Government Scholarships are as follows:
I. Categories of Applicants and Duration of Scholarship
II. Application Period
The application period for the Chinese Government Scholarship is from 4 February to 8 March 2013. Application materials received after the deadline will not be processed.
III. Applicants Eligibility
-Applicants must be Botswana citizens in good health.
-Education background and age limit:
1. Applicants for undergraduate programs must have senior high school certificate with good academic performance and be under the age of 25.
2. Applicants for master degree programs must have bachelor's degree and be under the age of 35.
3. Applicants for doctoral degree programs must have master's degree and be under the age of 40.
4. Applicants for Chinese language training program must have senior high school certificate and be under the age of 35. Chinese language is the only subject available.
5. Applicants for General Scholar program must have completed at least two years of undergraduate study and be under the age of 45, all subjects besides Chinese language are available.
6. Applicants for Senior Scholar program must have master's degree or above, or hold academic titles of associate professor or above, and be under the age of 50.
IV. Application Procedures
- CSC Online Application System for Study in China
Applicants should first log on the http://laihua.csc.edu.cn to fill in and submit the application form online.
The instructions for Students' Online Application for studying in China under the Chinese Government Scholarship are as follows:
Step 1: Log on to http://laihua.csc.edu.cn.
The applicants should register for a username and password before logging on.
Step 2: After logging on to the system, please read the "ONLINE APPLICATION GUIDANCE" and follow the steps.
Step 3: Click the button"NEXT"and select the scholarship you want to apply. Please select the Chinese Government Scholarship.
Step 4:Please note that the "AGENCY NO." is one of the most crucial part of your online application. It is listed in the first blank under the "PERSONAL DATA". Please make sure that you fill it in correctly otherwise you will not be able to continue your online application. Your "AGENCY NO" is 0721.
Step 5:Please fill in the online application form truly, correctly and completely following the steps listed on the left of the page (Use English Only). The applicants are required to select the disciplines before choosing their majors. For inquirys about the disciplines and majors, please refer to the Disciplines Index, which can be downloaded from "Help".
Step 6:Preview the application form after finishing it and submit it online.
Step 7:Please download the finished application form by licking the button "DOWNLOAD APPLICATION"and print it out for two copies.
Internet Explorer (6.0 or 7.0) is strongly recommended, otherwise inconvenience may be caused by other browsers.
- Application Documents
Applicants must provide the following full package of application documents (in duplicates) to the Chinese Embassy in Botswana before 8 March 2013. Application materials will not be returned regardless of the result of application.
1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (filled in Chinese or English). Applicants should first submit the application form on the CSC Online Application System for Study in China and print the form out for two copies.
2. Highest diploma (notarized/certified photocopy). If applicants are university students or already employed, they shall also provide studying certificates or employment documents. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with certified translations in Chinese or English.
3. Applicants for undergraduate studies are required to provide certified copy of senior high school transcripts. Applicants for other categories of studies also need to provide relevant certified copy of academic transcripts. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
4. A study or research plan in Chinese or in English (no less than 200 words for undergraduates, no less than 500 words for scholars). Detailed research plan (additional paper can be attached) is required for postgraduates or scholars for advanced studies.
5. Applicants for master or doctoral degree studies and senior scholars must submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by professors or associate professors.
6. Applicants for music programs are requested to submit one CD recording of the applicants' own work. Applicants for fine arts programs must submit one CD recording of the applicants' own work (including two sketches, two color paintings and two other works).
7. Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the legal documents of their legal guardians in China.
8. Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by Chinese quarantine authority and only for those whose period of studies in China lasts up to six months) filled in English. It can be downloaded from CSC website (http://en.csc.edu.cn/). The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. The medical examination results are valid for 6 months. Please select the appropriate time to take medical examination due to the 6-months validity of the medical results. The original copy of the examination form should be kept by the applicant.
All of the above mentioned materials should be submitted to the Chinese Embassy in Botswana. Individual applications will not be accepted by CSC.
V. Selection of Institutions and Specialties
Applicants may choose one academic program and three institutions as personal preferences from the list of Chinese Higher Education Institutions designated by MOE. Please check the Directory of Chinese Higher Education Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program. Applicants can find the above mentioned information from the website of CSC (http://en.csc.edu.cn/).
Applicants are required to fill in their preferences of institutions and academic programs strictly in accordance with those listed in the Directory. Only the listed Chinese Higher Education Institutions in the Directory are available to the applicants for their study in China.
VI. Language of Instruction
-The Chinese Higher Education Institutions generally use Chinese as instruction language. Applicants with no command of Chinese are generally required to take Chinese language courses for 1-2 years before their major studies. Applicants who apply for study in science, engineering, agriculture, medicine (western medicine), economics, management and law are required to take Chinese language courses for 1 year. Applicants who apply for study in literature, history, philosophy, and medicine (traditional Chinese medicine, Chinese herb medicine) are required to take Chinese language courses for 2 years.
-Chinese is the only instruction language for undergraduate programs. Some of the universities could conduct postgraduate programs and non-degree courses for general and senior scholars in English. Please check the Directory of Chinese Higher Education Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program for details.
VII. College Preparatory Program
According to the regulation of MOE, applicants coming for their undergraduate studies under the Chinese Government Scholarship Program are required to attend the college preparatory courses in the universities appointed by CSC for one year. College preparatory courses include the fundamentals of Chinese language, mathematics, physics and chemistry. Only by passing the examinations set for the foundation courses, can they start their undergraduate studies on time as specified in their Admission Notices.
CSC entrusts Beijing Language and Culture University, Tianjin University, Shandong University, Nanjing Normal University, Huazhong Normal University, Tongji University and Northeast Normal University to offer the college preparatory courses in 2013/2014 academic year. New students could be exempted from the college preparatory courses if they:
-Complete their secondary education in Chinese: an official letter from their school of secondary education certifying that Chinese language is the instruction language for the compulsory courses must be submitted.- The students should reach the certain level required by the host university. A photocopy of the HSK Certificate must be attached to the application documents. The validity of the HSK test is two years.
Part Three: ADMISSION OF SCHOLARSHIP STUDENTS
I. Review of Application materials by CSC
The Chinese Embassy in Botswana will send all the application materials to CSC for further review. CSC is authorized to make necessary adjustments on the proposed institutions, specialties and duration of the applicant's study in China. The applications will not be processed if they fail to meet the enrollment requirements or the application materials are incomplete.
II. Universities make the final decision
Qualified applications will be forwarded to universities and the final decision whether to admit the applicants or not will be made by them. If the applicant has been accepted by an institution prior to application, the applicant is required to enclose the relevant admission letter in the application materials.
Scholarship applicants accepted by Chinese higher education institutions will be officially awarded the Chinese Government Scholarship with the approval from CSC and submitted to MOE for record.
III. Admission Notice
CSC will send the List of Accepted Students, Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201) to the Chinese Embassy in Botswana by 1 August 2013. The Chinese Embassy will forward the documents to the accepted students.
Students are required to sign on their Admission Notice, if they have no objection with the placement, and are not permitted to change their specialties, institutions or the duration of study specified in the Admission Notice.
Part Four: TREATMENTS OF ACCEPTED STUDENTS
For full scholarships, the Chinese government will cover the following fees:
1. Registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, fee for basic learning materials and accommodation on campus (normally two students share one room);
2. Living allowance;
3. One-off settlement subsidy after registration;
4. Fee for outpatient medical service, Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China;
5. One-off inter-city travel subsidy.
Accepted students are expected to pay for their own international travel expenses.
1. Costs of the laboratory experiment or internship beyond the university's arrangements should be borne by the students themselves.
- Undergraduates & Chinese language students: CNY 1,400 Yuan
- Master degree students & general scholars: CNY 1,700 Yuan
- Doctoral degree students & senior scholars: CNY 2,000 Yuan
Scholarship students shall receive their monthly allowance after registration. New students who register before 15th (15th included) of the registration month will get the full amount of living allowance of that month, and those who register after 15th will get half amount of that month. Students upon graduation will be given a living allowance for another 15 days after the graduation time set by the university. The allowance will be terminated from the next month after students suspend their studies, drop school or complete schooling from the university. Monthly allowance covers school holidays. Scholarship students who do not get the monthly living allowance during holidays can get that upon their return on campus. For those students who do not register on time without permission from the university, leave for non-health reasons or are absent from the university over a month, the allowance will be suspended for one month.
Students who have to suspend their studies because of serious diseases should go back to their home country for treatment and pay for the international travel expenses by themselves. With the university's approval, the scholarship status can be reserved for at most one year, and their living allowances will be suspended at the same time. The scholarship will be terminated for those who suspend their studies for other reasons.
4. New students will get one-off settlement subsidy upon arrival in China.
-CNY 1,000 Yuan for new students who will study in China up to one academic year.
-CNY 1,500 Yuan for new students who will study in China above one academic year.
5. Fee for outpatient medical service refers to the outpatient expense in the institution's hospital or the hospitals entrusted by the institution. The students should pay for a certain percentage of expense in accordance with the institution's relevant regulations.
6. Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China is provided by MOE for the scholarship students in China in case of hospitalizing for serious diseases and accidental injuries. The institutions or the entrusted medical assistance agency provide advancement service for insurance expenses, and claim for compensation with relevant payment receipts from the insurance company according to the stipulated insurance articles. The claim of individual student will not be accepted by the insurance company.
7.One-off inter-city travel ticket (each for coming-in and leaving China) : Scholarship students are supposed to choose the nearest port to their admitting institutions for inter-city travel and a hard-seat train ticket (hard-berth train ticket for overnight trip) will be provided for new scholarship students transferring from the port of entry upon registration to the city where the admitting institution or Chinese language training institution, preparatory education institution is located, for students transferring from the Chinese language training institution or the preparatory education institution to the city where the university for major study is located, and for students transferring from the city where the institution is located to the nearest port for departure upon graduation. Expenses for food during the trip and excess of baggage should be self-afforded.
II. Transfer Service
The Transfer Service Station for Chinese Government Scholarship students in Beijing Language and Culture University will provide free transfer service to new full scholarship students who have to make a stopover in Beijing between 25 August and 15 September 2013. Detailed services provided during the stopover are as follows:
1. Free accommodation on campus (double room) is provided for full scholarship students.
2. One-off settlement subsidy is given to full scholarship students.
3. Medical service is provided during the stopover for full scholarship students.
4. A hard-seat or hard-berth train ticket from Beijing to the city where the institution is located is provided for full scholarship students.
Transfer Service Station for Chinese Government Scholarship Students contact information:
Add: No. 15 Xueyuan Lu, Haidian District, Beijing, People's Republic of China
Post Code: 100083
Those who arrive in Beijing before or after the transfer service period or who make a stopover in cities other than Beijing have to go to their universities by themselves. The universities shall reimburse the hard-seat or hard-berth train ticket between the port of entry and the city where the university is located and give the one-off settlement subsidy according to relevant regulations.
III. Change of Academic Program or Institution and Extension of Study
Students are not permitted, in principle, to change their specialties, institutions or the duration of study specified in the Admission Notice and the Visa Application for Study in China (JW201) once after registration.
Part Five: ANNUAL REVIEW OF CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP STATUS
In accordance with the Measures for the Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status, scholarship students who will study in China for more than one year must participate in the annual review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status. Entrusted by CSC, the hosting institutions will make a comprehensive review on the scholarship students' performance, including academic record, learning attitude, class attendance, behavior, rewards and punishment.
Those who are qualified in the annual review will continue to enjoy the scholarship for the following academic year. For those who fail in the annual review, their scholarships will be suspended or terminated for the following academic year.
If students whose scholarship has been suspended wish to continue to study in China, they still enjoy the comprehensive medical insurance provided by Chinese government during the suspension.
If students have financial difficulty during the suspension, they can apply to their host institutions for expense deduction. If they wish to resume the scholarship status, they can apply to participate in the annual review for the next academic year. Their scholarship status will be resumed if they are qualified for the annual review.
Students who have been disqualified from the scholarship status are not allowed to apply for scholarship resumption.
Part Six: CONTACTS OF CHINESE EMBASSY IN BOTSWANA
1. Educational Assistant:
Ms. Boitshepo Kootlhokile
2. Chinese Embassy in Botswana
Plot 3096, North Ring Road, Gaborone, Botswana
( Near the back-entrance of the State House )
Open: Monday-Friday, 09:00-12:00, 14:30-17:00
The soft copy of this Admission Information is available at the website of the Chinese Embassy in Botswana: http://bw.china-embassy.org/eng/
Chinese Embassy in Botswana
1 February 2013