|2015/2016 CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIPS RECRUITING INFORMATION|
Part One: INTRODUCTION
In order to further strengthen the mutual understanding and friendship between peoples of China and Botswana, the Chinese government has been providing scholarships for Botswana students studying in Chinese higher education institutions since 1980s. Especially during the recent years, the Chinese Government increased the scholarships from 5 to around 20 for each academic year since 2007, which also serves the support for Botswana to accelerate the achievement of Vision 2016.
The Ministry of Education of China (hereinafter referred to as MOE) formulates Chinese government scholarship program, and entrusts China Scholarship Council (hereinafter referred to as CSC) to handle the enrollment of international students.
For the academic year of 2015/2016, the Chinese government will provide 23 full scholarships for Botswana students who wish to study in China for bachelor, master or doctoral degrees, general scholars and senior scholars, of which applications higher than bachelor degree are preferred.
Part Two: APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
The specified Application requirements for Chinese Government Scholarships are as follows:
The application period for the 2015/2016 Chinese Government Scholarship is valid from 2 March to 31 March, 2015. Application materials received after the deadline will not be processed.
II. Program Categories, Duration and Language of Instruction
-The Chinese Higher Education Institutions generally use Chinese as instruction language. Applicants with no command of Chinese are generally required to take Chinese language courses for 1-2 years before their major studies. Applicants who apply for study in science, engineering, agriculture, medicine (western medicine), economics, management and law are required to take Chinese language courses for 1 year. Applicants who apply for study in literature, history, philosophy, and medicine (traditional Chinese medicine, Chinese herb medicine) are required to take Chinese language courses for 2 years.
-All the undergraduate programs, most graduate programs and most non-degree programs are instructed in Chinese. Certainuniversities offer English-taught graduate programs and non-degree programs(General and senior scholar) in English. For detailed program description, please check the Directory of the Chinese Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program at www.csc.edu.cn/laihuaor www.campuschina.org.
III. Applicants Eligibility
-Applicants must be Botswana citizens in good health.
-Education background and age limit:
1. Applicants for undergraduate programs must have senior high school certificate with good academic performance and be under the age of 25.
2. Applicants for master degree programs must have bachelor's degree and be under the age of 35.
3. Applicants for doctoral degree programs must have master's degree and be under the age of 40.
4. Applicants for General Scholar program must have completed at least two years of undergraduate study and be under the age of 45, all subjects besides Chinese language are available.
5. Applicants for Senior Scholar program must have master's degree or above, or hold academic titles of associate professor or above, and be under the age of 50.
IV. Application Procedures
-Online Application Form
Applicants should first log on the CSC Online Application System for International Students at http://laihua.csc.edu.cnto fill in and submit the application form online.
The instructions for using the system are as follows:
Step 2: Read "Tips for online application" carefully before clicking "NEXT" to the registration page.
Step 3: After registration, log in with your user name and password. Choose Chinese Government Scholarship as your scholarship type unless you are applying for other Cooperation Program Scholarship.
Step 4:Fill in the correct Agency Number. An Agency Number represents a specific application receiving agency and will only be given to recommended applicants by application receiving agencies. It is listed in the first blank under the "PERSONAL DATA". Please make sure that you fill it in correctly otherwise you will not be able to continue your online application or your application will not be accepted.
Your "AGENCY NO" is 0721.
Step 5:Please fill in (Use English or Chinese Only) the Online Application Form truly, correctly and completely following the steps listed on the left of the page.
Applicants are required to select a discipline before choosing their majors. For any doubt about the disciplines and majors, please refer to the Disciplines Index, which can be downloaded from "Help".
Step 6:Click Preview and check your Application Form carefully before submitting it. Click Confirmation of Submit to submit your Application Form.
Step 7:Downloadthe completed Application Form by licking Download Application and print two hard copies.
Step 8: Prepare other supporting documents as required and send the full package of application documents (in duplicate) to Chinese Embassy in Botswana.
Step 9: You can make changes to your application by clicking Retrieve Application on the left of the page. But make sure to submit it again by clicking Confirmation of Submit after finishing all the changes. Otherwise, the retrieved application will become invalid and your new application will not be received either.
Only Chinese and English are accepted for the online application.
-Application Package Documents
Applicants must provide the following full package of application documents (in duplicates) to the Chinese Embassy in Botswana before March 31st, 2015. Application materials will not be returned regardless of the result of application.
1. Application Formfor Chinese Government Scholarship (filled in Chinese or English). Applicants should first submit the application form on the CSC Online Application System for International Students and print it out for two hard copies.
2. Notarized/certified photocopy of Highest diploma. If applicants are university students or already employed, they shall also provide studying certificates or employment documents. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with certified translations in Chinese or English.
3. Academic transcripts. Applicants for undergraduate studies are required to provide certified copy of senior high school transcripts. Applicants for other categories of studies also need to provide relevant certified copy of academic transcripts. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
4. A study plan or research proposal in Chinese or in English (a minimum of 200 words for undergraduates, 500 words for non-degree students as scholars, and 800 words for postgraduates). Detailed research plan (additional paper can be attached) is required for postgraduates or scholars for advanced studies.
5. Recommendation letters. Applicants for master or doctoral degree studies and senior scholars must submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by professors or associate professors.
6. Applicants for music programs are requested to submit one CD recording of the applicants' own work. Applicants for fine arts programs must submit one CD recording of the applicants' own work (including two sketches, two color paintings and two other works).
7. Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the valid documents of their legal guardians in China.
8. Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (please download from the linkage at the bottom) filled in English. It can also be downloaded from CSC website (http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihuaor http://www.campuschina.org). The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. As The medical examination results are valid for only 6 months, please select the appropriate time to take medical examination due to the 6-months validity of the medical results. The original copy of the examination form should be kept by the applicant.
9. Applicants with Admission Letter from designated universities should enclose the letter in the application package.
10. Applicants with valid HSK Certificate should enclose it in the application package.
NOTE: All of the above mentioned materials should be submitted to the Chinese Embassy in Botswana. Individual applications will not be accepted by CSC. No application documents will be returned.
V. Selection of Institutions and Specialties
Applicants may choose one academic program and three institutions as personal preferences from the list of Chinese Higher Education Institutions designated by MOE. Please check the Directory of the Chinese Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program. Applicants can find the above mentioned information from the website of CSC (http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.studyinchina.edu.cn ).
Applicants are required to fill in their preferences of institutions and academic programs strictly in accordance with those listed in the Directory. Only the listed Chinese Higher Education Institutions in the Directory are available to the applicants for their study in China.
VI. College Preparatory Program
According to the regulation of MOE, applicants coming for their undergraduate studies under the Chinese Government Scholarship Program are required to attend the college preparatory courses in the universities appointed by CSC for one year. College preparatory courses include the fundamentals of Chinese language, mathematics, physics and chemistry. Only by passing the examinations set for the foundation courses, can they start their undergraduate studies on time as specified in their Admission Notices.
CSC entrusts Beijing Language and Culture University, Tianjin University, Shandong University, Nanjing Normal University, Central China Normal University, Tongji University, Northeast Normal University and Beijing International Studies Univeristy to offer the college preparatory courses in 2014/2015 academic year. New students could be exempted from the college preparatory courses if they:
-Complete their secondary education in Chinese: an official letter from their school of secondary education certifying that Chinese language is the instruction language for the compulsory courses must be submitted.
- The students should reach the certain level required by the host university. A photocopy of the HSK Certificate must be attached to the application documents. The validity of the HSK test is two years.
Part Three: ADMISSION OF SCHOLARSHIP STUDENTS
I. Review of Application materials by CSC
The Chinese Embassy in Botswana will send all the application materials to CSC for further review. CSC is authorized to make necessary adjustments on the proposed institutions, specialties and duration of the applicant's study in China. The applications will not be processed if they fail to meet the enrollment requirements or the application materials are incomplete.
II. Universities make the final decision
Qualified applications will be forwarded to universities and the final decision whether to admit the applicants or not will be made by them. If the applicant has been accepted by an institution prior to application, the applicant is required to enclose the relevant admission letter in the application materials.
Scholarship applicants accepted by Chinese higher education institutions will be officially awarded the Chinese Government Scholarship with the approval from CSC and submitted to MOE for record.
III. Admission Notice
CSC will send the List of Scholarship Winners, Admission Letter and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201) to the Chinese Embassy in Botswana by July 31st, 2014. The Chinese Embassy will forward the documents to the accepted students.
Students are required to sign on their Admission Notice, if they have no objection with the placement, and are not permitted to change their specialties, institutions or the duration of study specified in the Admission Notice.
If applicants fail to register before the deadline for registration, their scholarship will not be reserved.
Part Four: TREATMENTS OF ACCEPTED STUDENTS
For full scholarships, the Chinese government will cover the following fees:
1. Registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship, fee for basic learning materials and accommodation on campus (normally two students share one room);
2. Monthly living allowance;
3. Fee for outpatient medical service, Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Protection Scheme for International Students in China;
Accepted students are expected to pay for their own international travel expenses.
1. Costs of the laboratory experiment or internship beyond the university's arrangements should be borne by the students themselves.
-Undergraduates & Chinese language students: CNY 2,500 Yuan
-Master degree students & general scholars: CNY 3,000 Yuan
-Doctoral degree students & senior scholars: CNY 3,500 Yuan
Scholarship students shall receive their monthly allowance after registration. New students who register before 15th (15th included) of the registration month will get the full amount of living allowance of that month, and those who register after 15th will get half amount of that month. Students upon graduation will be given a living allowance for another 15 days after the graduation time set by the university. The allowance will be terminated from the next month after students suspend their studies, drop school or complete schooling from the university. Monthly allowance covers school holidays. Scholarship students who do not get the monthly living allowance during holidays can get that upon their return on campus. For those students who do not register on time without permission from the university, leave for non-health reasons or are absent from the university over a month, the allowance will be suspended for one month.
Students who have to suspend their studies because of serious diseases should go back to their home country for treatment and pay for the international travel expenses by themselves. With the university's approval, the scholarship status can be reserved for at most one year, and their living allowances will be suspended at the same time. The scholarship will be terminated for those who suspend their studies for other reasons.
4. Fee for outpatient medical service refers to the outpatient expense in the institution's hospital or the hospitals entrusted by the institution. The students should pay for a certain percentage of expense in accordance with the institution's relevant regulations.
5. Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China is provided by MOE for the scholarship students in China in case of hospitalizing for serious diseases and accidental injuries. The institutions or the entrusted medical assistance agency provide advancement service for insurance expenses, and claim for compensation with relevant payment receipts from the insurance company according to the stipulated insurance articles. The claim of individual student will not be accepted by the insurance company.
II. Transfer Service
The Transfer Service Station for Chinese Government Scholarship students in Beijing Language and Culture University will provide free transfer service to new full scholarship students who have to make a stopover in Beijing between 25 August and 15 September 2015. Detailed services provided during the stopover are as follows:
1. Pickup service at Beijing Airport. Students are kindly requested to inform the Transfer Service Office of their arrival date and the flight number one week in advance.
2. Free accommodation on campus (double room)
3. One-off settlement subsidy
4. Necessary medical service during the transfer
Transfer Service Station for Chinese Government Scholarship Students contact information:
Add: No. 15 Xueyuan Lu, Haidian District, Beijing, People's Republic of China
Post Code: 100083
Those who arrive in Beijing before or after the transfer service period or who make a stopover in cities other than Beijing have to go to their universities by themselves. The universities shall reimburse the hard-seat or hard-berth train ticket between the port of entry and the city where the university is located and give the one-off settlement subsidy according to relevant regulations.
III. Change of Academic Program or Institution and Extension of Study
Students are not permitted, in principle, to change their specialties, institutions or the duration of study specified in the Admission Notice and the Visa Application for Study in China (JW201) once after registration.
Part Five: VISA APPLICATION(only for admitted students after August 1st, 2014)
Chinese Government Scholarship winners should apply for a "X1" visa to study in China to the Chinese Embassy in Botswana and the Visa Application Requirements are as follows:
1/ admission letter (both original and one copy)
2/ medical examination (both original and one copy)
3/ air ticket or the print out of the ticket booking
4/ original Passport and one copy (certified by immigration)
5/ completed application form (download link is attached)
6/One colored passport photo
7/ P500 visa fee (at self expense)
Note:The Visa Section of the Chinese Embassy opens 9:00-12:00am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (3 working days a week).Tel: 3938682
It takes 10 working days to complete the Visa process. Thus it is highly recommended to apply for Chinese Visa at least three weeks before you leave for China.
Part Six: ANNUAL REVIEW OF CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP STATUS
In accordance with the Measures for the Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status, scholarship students who will study in China for more than one year must participate in the annual review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status. Entrusted by CSC, the hosting institutions will make a comprehensive review on the scholarship students' performance, including academic record, learning attitude, class attendance, behavior, rewards and punishment.
Those who are qualified in the annual review will continue to enjoy the scholarship for the following academic year. For those who fail in the annual review, their scholarships will be suspended or terminated for the following academic year.
If students whose scholarship has been suspended wish to continue to study in China, they still enjoy the comprehensive medical insurance provided by Chinese government during the suspension.
If students have financial difficulty during the suspension, they can apply to their host institutions for expense deduction. If they wish to resume the scholarship status, they can apply to participate in the annual review for the next academic year. Their scholarship status will be resumed if they are qualified for the annual review.
Students who have been disqualified from the scholarship status are not allowed to apply for scholarship resumption.
Part Seven: CONTACTS OF CHINESE EMBASSY IN BOTSWANA
Mr. Li Zheng
2.Chinese Embassy in Botswana
Plot 3096, North Ring Road, Gaborone, Botswana
( Near the back-entrance of the State House )
Open: Monday-Friday, 09:00-12:00, 14:30-17:00
Chinese Embassy in Botswana
26 February 2015